For many people, losing a pet may be one of the saddest experiences they will ever have. We know and understand how the death of a beloved friend and companion can be heartbreaking.
Talking to someone who understands your grief is a way to help the healing process begin. If you do not know of anyone to talk to, you may wish to call one of the pet loss hotlines listed below. Caring people there can listen and help. They are only a phone call away.
- 530-752-3602 or 800-565-1526 Staffed by University of California-Davis veterinary students. Website
- 630-325-1600 Staffed by Chicago VMA veterinarians and staffs.
- 970-491-4143 Staffed by Colorado State University – Argus Institute counselors.
- 607-253-3932 Staffed by Cornell University veterinary students
- 352-392-4700 then dial 1 and 4080 Staffed by Florida veterinary students
- 217-244-2273 (CARE) or 877-394-2273 (CARE) Staffed by University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine students. Website
- 888-ISU-PLSH (888-478-7574) Staffed by Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine students. Website
- 517-432-2696 Staffed by Michigan State University veterinary students. Website
- 508-839-7966 Staffed by Tufts University veterinary students. Website
- 540-231-8038 Staffed by Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine.
- 509-335-5704 Staffed by Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine students.
- Purdue University’s Center for the Human-Animal Bond Website
- University of Tennessee’s Human Education and Responsible Ownership (H.E.R.O.)